Lebanese soldier dies in Tripoli attack
Published Wednesday, January 22, 2014
Updated 7:40 pm: A Lebanese soldier died after being critically injured in an early morning attack on an army position in the northern city of Tripoli, the military announced Wednesday evening.
The fallen soldier was identified as 28-year-old Hussein Saadeddin from northern Lebanon, according to an army statement carried by Lebanon's National News Agency.
Saadeddin was among eight soldiers wounded in three attacks by salafi militants in Tripoli. At least two civilians were also wounded in attacks on Wednesday, the NNA said.
The army had earlier said militants from the salafi-dominated Bab al-Tabanneh district fired a rocket at soldiers around 6:40 am, injuring three, two of them critically.
About an hour later gunmen from the same area opened fire on an army vehicle, injuring one soldier.
And four troops were injured when militants fired a rocket-propelled grenade at an army patrol in the city.
Schools and universities were closed on Wednesday in Tripoli, and the highway linking the city to the northern town of Akkar was cut off. The army also set up checkpoints on Tripoli’s periphery.
Loud explosive noise could be heard intermittently in the area.
Clashes linked to the Syrian conflict regularly break out in Tripoli, opposing fighters from the neighborhoods of Bab al-Tabbaneh and Jabal Mohsen.
Seven people were killed, and 79 wounded, during the recent clashes in Tripoli.