Egypt court jails 40 Mursi supporters convicted of torching churches

Al-Akhbar is currently going through a transitional phase whereby the English website is available for Archival purposes only. All new content will be published in Arabic on the main website (www.al-akhbar.com).

Al-Akhbar Management

Published Thursday, December 18, 2014

An Egyptian court sentenced 40 backers of ousted president Mohammed Mursi to up to 15 years in jail Thursday for violence including torching churches, a judicial source said.

Followers of Mursi and his Muslim Brotherhood movement have been the target of a relentless crackdown by the authorities since he was deposed in July 2013 by ex-army chief and current President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi.

The criminal court in Assiut in southern Egypt sentenced two defendants to 15 years each, while the others were given jail terms ranging from one year to 10, the source said.

They were accused of taking part in acts of violence in Assiut last year during which five churches, several police stations and a number of shops were set on fire. There were no reported casualties.

The court acquitted 61 others standing trial in the same case, the source said.

Violent clashes erupted across Egypt on August 14, 2013, as news spread across the country of a violent dispersal by the police and army of two protest camps in Cairo set up by Mursi supporters.

Dozens of churches and church properties were attacked across Egypt after the bloodshed, in response to perceived Coptic Christian support for Mursi's ouster.

The crackdown since then has left at least 1,400 people dead and more than 15,000 imprisoned.

The ex-president and many top leaders of his now-banned Muslim Brotherhood are themselves in jail and on trial in cases in which they face the death penalty if convicted.

Hundreds of Mursi supporters have been sentenced to death after mass trials which the United Nations says are "unprecedented" in recent history.

In another religiously-motivated crime, thirty-one defendants are to go on trial in Egypt later this month on charges related to the 2013 brutal killings of four Shia men outside Cairo, a court statement said Thursday.

The four, who included a cleric, were killed on June 23 last year when a hostile mob attacked a house where they had gathered in the village of Abu Musallam in the Giza province near the capital.

The charges included the murder of the four men, the attempted murder of 13 others, vandalism and arson.

Minority religions and sects have been frequent targets of violence in Egypt since Mursi’s ouster. Christians are estimated to account for around 10 percent of the population, and Shias only 1 percent in the majority Sunni Muslim nation.

These crimes have been led thousands of minority Egyptians to emigrate from the country since last year.

(AFP, Al-Akhbar)

Comments

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd><img><h1><h2><h3><h4><h5><h6><blockquote><span><aside>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

^ Back to Top