Five killed in Tripoli flare-up
Published Wednesday, December 5, 2012
At least five people have been killed and more than 40 injured since Tuesday morning as clashes continue in Lebanon's northern port city of Tripoli between neighborhoods divided over the Syrian conflict.
The five victims were all killed by sniper fire during the latest flare up between residents in the working class neighborhoods of Bab al-Tabaneh and Jabal Mohsen.
The violence erupted overnight Monday following a commemoration for Wissam al-Hassan, the intelligence chief assassinated in October whose death became a rallying cry for Lebanon’s anti-Syrian coalition.
An Al-Akhbar correspondent in Tripoli said the clashes continued overnight Tuesday and Wednesday morning, but that the situation has since calmed down.
No official truce has been announced yet, he added.
Over 70 people have been killed in gun battles, sniper fire and grenade attacks during confrontations between the neighborhoods since June 2011. The latest flare up is the eighth round of violence to the area since then.
Lebanon’s army said their patrols were targeted with medium to light weapons while attempting to restore calm, and that soldiers have been returning fire.