French-Moroccan man dies after clash with rebels in Yemen

Al-Akhbar is currently going through a transitional phase whereby the English website is available for Archival purposes only. All new content will be published in Arabic on the main website (www.al-akhbar.com).

Al-Akhbar Management

Published Thursday, November 6, 2014

A French-Moroccan has died of his wounds after being shot by Houthi rebels in control of the Yemeni capital, a Western diplomat said on Thursday.

The shooting on Wednesday also killed his French-Algerian companion, identified as Farid Hamou.

Both men, who were studying religion at a Salafi center in Sanaa, were stopped at a checkpoint on suspicion of carrying explosives.

In an ensuing argument, the French-Algerian stabbed a Houthi rebel before being shot dead, a security source said.

"The French-Moroccan died yesterday (Wednesday) evening at the hospital," the diplomat told AFP.

The dead man was not identified.

Both victims were aged "between 25 and 30" and had been in Yemen for less than a year, he said.

Yemen has been gripped by security problems since the 2012 ouster of strongman Ali Abdullah Saleh, and recent weeks have seen a spate of armed attacks in Sanaa after the Houthis seized the city in September.

On Wednesday, three students thought to have been related to the rebels were killed by two gunmen in northwestern Sanaa, a security official said.

An attempt by the Houthis to expand the areas they control beyond Sanaa and towards the south was met by deadly resistance from tribes in central Yemen and by al-Qaeda insurgents.

(AFP, Al-Akhbar)

Comments

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd><img><h1><h2><h3><h4><h5><h6><blockquote><span><aside>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

^ Back to Top