Iraq attacks leave six dead
Published Friday, August 10, 2012
Bombings and a shooting against Iraqi security forces, a Shia mosque and a local official killed six people and wounded dozens of others on Friday, security and medical officials said.
"Three policemen were killed and two others wounded by a bomb targeting their patrol in Al-Muqdadiyah this morning," said a police lieutenant colonel in the town, which lies in restive Diyala province.
Ahmed Ibrahim from the main hospital in the nearby provincial capital Baquba, 60 kilometers north of Baghdad, confirmed the toll.
On the outskirts of the main northern city of Mosul, meanwhile, a suicide car bomb near a Shia mosque killed two people and wounded 40 others, police First Lieutenant Salim Metta and Salam Bahnam from Mosul General Hospital said.
And just outside Haditha, in Anbar province northwest of the capital, city councilman Nabil Shaaker was killed and two of his brothers wounded when gunmen fired on their car, according to a police lieutenant colonel and a city doctor.
The latest violence brings the number of people killed in attacks in Iraq so far this month to at least 105, including 55 security forces members, according to an AFP tally based on security and medical sources.
While violence has decreased from its peak in 2006 and 2007, attacks remain common across Iraq. There were attacks on 27 of the 31 days in July.
Official figures put the number of people killed in attacks in July at 325, the highest monthly death toll since August 2010.