Israel may cancel Oslo if Palestinian UN bid succeeds

A November 11, 2012 file photo shows Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas delivering a speech to mark the eighth anniversary of the death of the late leader Yasser Arafat, in the West Bank city of Ramallah. (Photo: AFP - Abbas Momani)

Published Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Israel may cancel the Oslo Accords if the November 29 Palestinian bid for non-member statehood at the United Nations succeeds, Israeli daily Ha'aretz reported Wednesday.

The foreign ministry reportedly sent a cable Sunday to Israeli diplomats instructing them to “do all possible to halt the Palestinian initiative because of its far-reaching consequences.”

Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman had met with Israeli ambassadors to the EU two days earlier informing them that punitive measures against Palestinians, for the UN bid, would include forcing the collapse of the Palestinian Authority, stopping the transfer of tax money, canceling work permits for thousands of Palestinian laborers, and canceling the Oslo Accords.

The Oslo Accords, signed in 1993 by late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat and Israeli president Yitzhak Rabin, ostensibly formed an interim peace deal that would pave the way to an independent Palestinian state within 5 years. It created the Palestinian Authority which would rule over a hodge-podge of semi-autonomous territories in the West Bank, and generated significant opposition from members from within the ranks of the PLO.

Palestinian National Initiative leader Mustafa Barghouti said the accords turned out to be “a transition to nothing,” and had been used as a cover by Israel “to consolidate a system of apartheid.”

“The Palestinian resolution is a clear violation of the fundamental principle of negotiations,” Roni Leshno-Yaar, head of Israel's foreign ministry division for international organizations, was quoted as saying by Ha'aretz.

“The adoption of the resolution will give Israel the right to re-evaluate previous agreements with the PLO and consider canceling them partially or completely, and would make progress in the future.”

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas's request for non-member status in the UN will be put to the vote at the UN General Assembly on November 29 where they are expected to secure majority support. The move grants the PA access to the International Criminal Court, allowing it to propose Israel's referral to the court in order to face trial on the Jewish state's routine violations of international humanitarian law.

Last Sunday, recently re-elected US president Barack Obama urged Abbas not to apply for the upgrade.

“Abbas congratulated Obama on his re-election for a second term in office, while Obama told him that he objects to going to the UN for non-member status for Palestine,” said Abbas's spokesman Nabeel Abu-Rodaineh.

(Ma'an, Al-Akhbar, Middle East Monitor)

Comments

Oslo is the worst thing that happend to Palestinians since june 1967.
So go ahead and make y day...

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd><img><h1><h2><h3><h4><h5><h6><blockquote><span><aside>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

^ Back to Top