Lebanese Drone Enters Israel Airspace: Israeli Media

Al-Akhbar is currently going through a transitional phase whereby the English website is available for Archival purposes only. All new content will be published in Arabic on the main website (www.al-akhbar.com).

Al-Akhbar Management

Published Sunday, February 15, 2015

An unmanned aircraft crossed from Lebanon into the Occupied Palestine airspace slightly after midnight, Israeli media reported Sunday.

According to Press TV, Israeli website rotter.net said the aircraft entered "Israeli airspace" from the Lebanese border village of Naqoura at 1:00 am Sunday, hovering over the Israeli-occupied territories for almost 20 minutes before safely flying back to Lebanon.

The report said the incident was the second of its kind in the past few weeks.

The Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah had previously sent drones deep into Israeli-occupied territories. In 2012, a Hezbollah drone successfully flew 55 kilometers into Israeli airspace before being shot down by the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF).

Israeli warplanes violate Lebanon’s airspace on a quasi-daily basis, and have launched several attacks against Syrian targets in recent months, some reportedly carried out from over Lebanon.

Last month, Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah said during a memorial ceremony to honor the six Hezbollah fighters and the Iranian general killed in an Israeli airstrike in Syria in January that Israel has violated Lebanese’ sovereignty and the 1701 UN resolution “thousands of times” and “on daily basis.”

On January 18, an Israeli helicopter airstrike on the Syrian city of Quneitra near the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights killed six fighters of Lebanon’s resistance movement Hezbollah, including a commander, Mohammed Abu Issa, and the son of assassinated senior commander Imad Mughniyeh, Jihad Mughniyeh, as well as Iranian Revolutionary Guard General Mohammed Ali Allahdadi.

In retaliation, Hezbollah claimed responsibility for an attack against an IOF convoy in Israeli-occupied Lebanese Shebaa Farms that left a number of Israeli soldiers dead.

According to Israeli figures, two soldiers were killed and seven others were wounded, although Hezbollah-owned Al-Manar news channel said the toll was much higher.

Israel occupied most of southern Lebanon for 22 years until 2000 and the two countries are still technically at war.

Israeli army spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner said January’s escalation was the "most severe" Israel had faced since 2006, when its war with Hezbollah killed more than 1,200 people in Lebanon, mostly civilians, and some 160 Israelis, mostly soldiers.

(Al-Akhbar)

Comments

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd><img><h1><h2><h3><h4><h5><h6><blockquote><span><aside>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

^ Back to Top