Pakistan to sue British newspaper over Olympic claims

Published Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pakistan said Wednesday it is to sue a British newspaper that claimed to have uncovered a visa scam that could have allowed potential terrorists into the Olympic Village.

The Sun tabloid said it had busted a racket involving a politician in the eastern city of Lahore that could have given access to the London Games as part of the Pakistani contingent in return for one million rupees ($10,000).

On Wednesday, the Pakistani cabinet "took strong notice" of the article, Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira told reporters in Islamabad, adding that: "A dirty propaganda was unleashed against Pakistan."

"The cabinet ordered the NADRA (the National Database Registration Authority) to file a defamation suit (against the paper) after consulting the law ministry," Kaira added.

He also took a swipe at the paper, Britain's biggest-selling daily, saying it "does not have a good reputation."

Pakistan's Olympic chef de mission Aqil Shah also dismissed the Sun's claims earlier this week.

The Sun said its undercover reporter was offered the chance to go to the Olympics posing as an official member of the Pakistani contingent on a two-month visa.

Pakistan's 39-strong delegation – minus Shah – is already in London and consists of 23 athletes and 16 officials.

(AFP)

Comments

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd><img><h1><h2><h3><h4><h5><h6><blockquote><span><aside>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

^ Back to Top