Damascus twin bombing kills 14: state TV

A handout image released by the Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) on 11 June 2013, shows Syrians standing amongst the damage in central Damascus following two explosions. (Photo: AFP - SANA)

Published Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Two bombs killed 14 people in central Damascus on Tuesday, state media said, in an attack which targeted a police station.

"The number of casualties after a twin suicide attack in Marjeh square has risen to 14 dead and 31 injured," said the channel, updating an earlier toll.

"The two suicide explosions took place near a police station," it said, adding that the blasts also caused material damage.

The broadcaster screened images of blood and broken glass on the pavements near the scene of the blasts as well as interviews with civilians at the scene of the attack.

"God take revenge on those who are behind this... People were just sitting in their homes, or in their shops," said an unidentified shopkeeper, unable to hold back his tears.

It's criminal... Look at the corpses, look at the blood," said another, who appeared to be in a state of shock.

State media had earlier said the bombs had been left outside shops in Marjeh Square, located in the heart of the Syrian capital, which has been rocked several times by bombings during the two-year-old conflict.

A bomb attack in the same square six weeks ago killed 13 people.

Areas of central Damascus have suffered frequent bomb attacks through the course of Syria's 26-month war. Most attacks have subsequently been claimed by the jihadist Al-Nusra Front.

(Reuters, AFP)

Comments

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd><img><h1><h2><h3><h4><h5><h6><blockquote><span><aside>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

^ Back to Top