Top prosecutor to investigate accusations that opposition incited Mursi ouster

Al-Akhbar is currently going through a transitional phase whereby the English website is available for Archival purposes only. All new content will be published in Arabic on the main website (

Al-Akhbar Management

Published Thursday, December 27, 2012

An Egyptian official says the country's top prosecutor has ordered an investigation into accusations against opposition leaders of incitement to overthrow the regime.

The prosecution official said Thursday a judge will investigate the report filed last month accusing Mohammed ElBaradei, Nobel Prize laureate and former head of the UN nuclear agency, along with Amr Moussa, former foreign minister and Hamdeen Sabahi, a former presidential candidate, of inciting the overthrow of Egypt's first elected president, Mohammed Mursi.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity in line with government policies.

The accusations were filed by a lawyer during a political crisis over a series of presidential decrees that granted Mursi and the committee drafting the disputed constitution immunity from judicial oversight. Tensions were fed by deadly clashes between pro- and anti-Mursi demonstrators.



Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd><img><h1><h2><h3><h4><h5><h6><blockquote><span><aside>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

^ Back to Top