Annan: peace plan not dead

Al-Akhbar is currently going through a transitional phase whereby the English website is available for Archival purposes only. All new content will be published in Arabic on the main website (www.al-akhbar.com).

Al-Akhbar Management

Live blog: Syria violence deadline

05:09pm

Kofi Annan has just spoken at a press conference in Turkey and has denied that his peace plan is in tatters following the failure of government troops to withdraw from all cities.

Annan said there was still time to achieve peace before Thursday's full deadline.

"It is a bit too early to say that the plan has failed. The plan is still on the table and it is a plan we are all fighting to implement," he said.

"The plan is very much alive and if you want to take it off the table what would you replace it with?"

UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan is welcomed by Syrian refugee children upon his arrival at Yayladagi refugee camp in Hatay province on the Turkish-Syrian border 10 April, 2012. (Photo: Reuters – Umit Bektas)

He admitted, however, that government forces had been attacking areas that had previously been left alone.

He said his team had received reports indicating " there are movements to other areas that have not previously been targets... which we believe should stop."

Published: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 17:09

^ Back to Top