Solidere Checks Into The Asylum
Photo Blog by Marwan Bu Haidar
The Asfouriyeh was built by American missionaries in 1890 with permission from the Ottoman Sultanate. It stretches over 130,000m2 of green space and includes 46 buildings in the area of Hazmieh, east of Beirut.
■ Article | The Takeover of Asfouriyeh: How Solidere Went Nuts by Joanne Bajjaly
At the beginning of the 20th century, it was the largest mental hospital in the Middle East.
It may be the size of the asylum that made the word stick in the collective memory of the Lebanese, for whom Asfouriyeh became synonymous with any mental hospital.